Thank you for visiting our site. We have been a trusted and expert coffee authority for over five years. The support of our readers and members sustains our site. Should you purchase products from retailers through links or adverts on our site, we may earn commissions at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases made on Amazon. These commissions are vital in maintaining the operation of our site. We curate some content and strive to provide valuable links to some of the best places on the internet. Please read our disclaimers policy for more information. We trust you will enjoy our site!
For some people, that first cup of coffee in the morning can really set the tone for the whole day. It may be that thing that revs you up and gets you prepared for your busy day ahead, or it may be that quiet and peaceful time that allows you to just take a second and contemplate your day.
In either case, a bad cup of coffee can really throw you off your game.
That is why it is so important to get that first cup of coffee (and perhaps the first of many subsequent coffees in your day) right every time. To help you achieve this worthy goal, keep reading for the 5 essential rules on how to make coffee taste good.
Ready for Rule #1?
Rule #1: Use Fresh, Whole Beans (and Keep Them Fresh)
Grind Your Own Beans
Of course, your choice of coffee is essential if you are looking for how to make coffee taste good. There is no question that buying and grinding up your own beans results in superior coffee every time when compared to the pre-ground variety.
That is because once ground, coffee beans almost immediately begin to lose their freshness and flavor. In fact, once the ground coffee is exposed to oxygen, you can taste the difference in brewed coffee within just 20-30 minutes!
If this seems hard to believe, try to experiment with it yourself by brewing coffee after it has been freshly ground and compare it to brewed coffee that has had time to sit after being ground. You may be surprised by the difference in taste! If you do not have a way to grind them up at home, consider picking up a grinder.
We’ve previously reviewed manual grinders and we found that the Javapresse manual grinder is one of the best you can get. It is also one of the best sellers on Amazon.
- ENJOY THE PERFECT CUP OF FRESH COFFEE ― The Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse Coffee Company has a built-in adjustable ceramic burr with over 18 manual grind settings to ensure you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your grind. This hand coffee grinder is great for all brewing methods to enjoy the perfect cup of fresh coffee and espresso in the morning, and it's designed for use with single-serve or drip coffee makers.
- CONVENIENT, PORTABLE, AND EASY-TO-USE ESPRESSO GRINDER ― The hand crank grinder eliminates 90% of electric grinder noise. JavaPresse's patented manual ceramic burr assembly needs no batteries or cords, making it perfect for fresh coffee at home or on the go. It's the ultimate camping coffee grinder and pairs perfectly with your coffee maker, offering a noise-free grinding experience.
- THE BEST WAY TO START YOUR DAY ― This manual coffee bean grinder is equipped with a professional grade ceramic conical burr for an incredibly consistent coffee grind that heightens flavors of the most exquisite beans in the world. Smell the fresh aroma of fresh ground coffee as you brew them on your espresso machine, drip coffee, French Press, or pour over coffee maker!
- TREAT YOURSELF TO THE HIGHEST QUALITY MANUAL COFFEE GRINDER THAT IS BUILT TO LAST ― Crafted with the same essence as traditional Japanese cookware, our patented ceramic handheld coffee grinder burr is tested through three quality inspections to last 5 times longer than comparable stainless steel coffee burrs. Combined with an impeccable frame and convenient size, this is the pinnacle travel coffee grinder that is a great gift for Father's Day or travel enthusiasts.
- ENHANCE YOUR MORNING WHILE MAKING AN IMPACT AROUND THE WORLD ― Your deliciously crafted cup of coffee from our manual coffee grinder is helping empower coffee farmers to chase a brighter future. A portion of our profits go towards positively impacting our partner’s coffee supply chain and their local communities. Our mission hinges on one fundamental idea: when we care, happiness flows and everyone wins. Including you with this hand coffee bean grinder by JavaPresse.
Last update on 2023-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you are looking for an electric burr grinder then you can’t do better than the Niche Zero which we have also previously reviewed.
✳️ SPECIAL DEAL ✳️
Here is a goodcoffeeplace special deal for you. You can get Amazon’s best-selling manual grinder for FREE and get the FRESHEST tasting coffee around for a whopping $34+ discount from Javapress.
As you can see below, you get three great-tasting packs of coffee beans plus your FREE grinder. Check it out here. We don’t know how long this offer will last but we suggest you don’t wait too long or you will miss out.
Buy from a Local Roaster (If You Can)
While it is important to freshly grind your beans, it is also important to buy and keep them fresh. If you want the freshest beans possible, you may want to consider buying them straight from a local roasting company, as after coffee beans have been roasted, they tend to be at their freshest for only 2-3 weeks. This may not be possible for everyone, of course, but if you are serious about your coffee and it is within your budget, you will likely not regret making that extra effort!
Alternatively, you can get the freshest coffee by roasting your own coffee beans and we have two articles on this very topic ‘How to roast your own coffee beans in 8-easy steps‘ and ‘Ultimate guide to home coffee roasting.‘
Store Your Beans Properly
When you store your coffee beans, make sure they are not exposed to any light, air, or heat. This means that if you purchase them in a bag, make sure they are transferred to an airtight container after they have been opened as soon as possible.
- Europe’s #1 Airtight Coffee Container: Over 10 million sold! Our coffee bean container is your gateway to fresher, aromatic coffee. The vacuum seal jars technology ensures the ultimate coffee storage airtight canister.
- Coffee Lover’s Choice: Whether as a coffee holder for ground coffee or a coffee bean container, the CoffeeVac’s unique design and sealing technology make it a coffee aficionado’s first choice.
- Multi-Functional Coffee Containers: Perfect as a coffee grounds container and air tight containers for herbs. They are indispensable smell proof containers.
- Superior Sealing Technology: Our airtight container innovation transcends ordinary coffee canisters with airtight lids. Experience a patented vacuum seal from these airtight containers that keeps your coffee fresh and aromatic.
- Discreet & Durable Storage Solution: CoffeeVac’s can serve as airtight containers for herbs, keeping contents secure and fresh. The robust design ensures it's a lasting companion for all your storage needs.
- Fresher Than Fresh: You pay for prime quality ground and whole beans, so it makes sense to take care of them. This premium stainless steel container looks the bees knees and loves your tea and coffee like a Kardashian loves a selfie.
- Protection from flavor-destroyers: Coffee naturally emits harmful co2 which must be vented away. Our zero-BPA canisters have innovative freshness valves to release co2 but lock out oxygen. Airtight, sealed containers stop this and wreck coffee.
- Track Freshness: Log purchase or expiry date with the calendar date wheel, reduce waste and stop trashing precious coffee.
- Drink better coffee. Unlike the competition, we never compromise on quality, service or your personal happiness. Our military-grade vault is no different in delivering more smiles per cup. The search for coffee that makes you smile ends right.
- GIFT: Perfect for any occasion, our manual coffee bean storage container is the ideal coffee lover gifts. No matter the occasion, this makes the perfect coffee lovers gifts for her, ensuring the coffee connoisseur in your life always has fresh, flavorful coffee.
- Freshness is Everything - Our coffee canisters help maintain the freshness of your coffee beans by keeping air out and free of harmful oxidation with a one-way CO2 valve and 100% BPA-free silicone rubber seal.
- Date Tracker & Free Scoop - Ensure your coffee is always fresh and not expired. You can set the storage or expiry dates with the date tracker on the lid of your Veken coffee storage canister. We also offer a free stainless steel coffee scoop, which can be attached to the hook!
- 304 Stainless Steel - As a coffee lover, you must never compromise on the material and quality of your coffee container. Veken containers are made of thick, high quality stainless steel to create a comfortable environment for coffee beans.
- Perfect Size & Scale Line - Our coffee container has the perfect capacity to store coffee beans and the scale line will help you recognize when it is time to add more.
- Why purchase this product? - The affordable price, user-friendly functions and elegant design makes this coffee canister a great addition to your kitchen. In addition, our coffee canister is a great gift for friends and family. Purchase one today and enjoy the benefits of owning a Veken coffee canister.
Last update on 2023-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Now that you have your coffee beans stored properly, where do you put them? You may think that keeping your stored coffee beans in a fridge will help prolong their freshness, but that is not the case! Roasted coffee beans are hygroscopic and porous, which means they can easily absorb other food odors and moisture. Instead, keep them on your counter or in a cupboard at room temperature in a vacuum container.
However, if you want to keep your coffee beans for longer you can freeze them. We discussed freezing your coffee beans in our post on ‘When does coffee expire and can it go bad?’
Rule #2: Use Filtered Water at the Right Temperature
You cannot talk about how to make coffee taste good without mentioning water, as the water you choose does make up most of your cup. Water straight from the tap can affect the taste of your coffee due to chlorine or the presence of other minerals that are commonly found in most hard water.
- [Quality life, Elite Choice] Waterdrop lucid water filter pitcher has an efficient filtration effect. With its appropriate sizes and colors going with everything, The Waterdrop pitcher can be used in kitchens, living rooms, offices and the like to provide you with purified drinking water anytime anywhere. 💧3-pack replacement filters are available for purchase! (search model: WD-PF-01A Plus、WD-PF-01C Plus).
- [NSF Certified Filtration Performance]: This filter water pitcher has passed NSF42 and 372 certifications, confirming the use of high-quality carbon fiber only. The residual chlorine reduction rate is as high as 97.4%, and the Waterdrop pitcher effectively reduces PFAS, PFOA/PFOS, odor, iron, and metal ions like calcium, magnesium, mercury, copper and other substances according to third-party testing while improving the overall taste.
- [5x Longer Lifespan]: The filter water pitcher has a filter lifespan of up to 200 gallons or 3 months, which is 5x that of competing products. With an extended lifespan, you can purify your drinking water for longer. The flow rate of the Waterdrop filter pitcher is also 5x that of competing products, ensuring the maximum filtration effect and faster delivery of clean drinking water.
- [Intelligent Indicator]: Our Intelligent design of the water filter pitcher ensures a healthier and hassle-free life for users, as you can monitor water quality at any time. You can now see the usage state of the filter element based on the display mode of the LED (light-emitting diode) in real time.⚡This system DOES NOT lower TDS value. If you prefer low TDS value, please choose Waterdrop TDS Reduction Pitcher. (search: B0CDC5L13C)
- [Innovative Design]: Waterdrop lucid water filter pitcher design allows the pitcher’s water filter to be perfectly placed on most fridge doors, the innovative design of the spout lid can help keep dust and other particles from getting into the pitcher. The Waterdrop pitcher is very easy to refill the pitcher, as you don’t even need to remove the lid. ⚡Fashion design, only 11.81*5.7*10.63 inches.
- The BPA-free Everyday water pitcher with filter holds 10 cups of water, enough to fill 3 24-ounce reusable water bottles; Product reservoir and lid may vary
- Get great-tasting water without the waste; by switching to Brita, you can save money and replace 1,800 single-use plastic water bottles* a year; *16.9 oz water;**Based on IRI data;***vs. tap
- This space efficient Brita pitcher fits perfectly on refrigerator shelves, features an easy-fill locking lid and is easy to pour; Height 10.47"; Width 5.59"; Length/Depth 10.94"; Weight 2.29 pounds
- Brita is the #1 water filter** reducing chlorine (taste & odor), Mercury, Copper, Zinc and Cadmium; always get cleaner***
- Compatible with Longlast and Standard water filters; for the freshest tasting water, replace your Longlast filter after 120 gallons or approximately every 6 months or Standard filter after 40 gallons or approximately every 2 months
Last update on 2023-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You can use something like the water filters shown above to filter out some of the minerals or you could try Third Wave Water mineral packets. These packets are specially made to optimize your water for coffee, so if you add a packet to distilled water, it will ensure that you have the right amount of minerals you need for the best-tasting coffee.
Note that you do not want to use softened water or distilled water on its own for coffee, as some minerals are essential to achieve the best-tasting cup.
The ideal water temperature for brewing coffee is between 195 and 205 degrees. If you do not use a manual brew method of making coffee, test the water temperature of your automatic coffee maker to see if it is getting somewhere within that range. If it is not, you may want to consider a new machine!
If you use water below 195 degrees, your coffee grounds are likely being under-extracted, resulting in a sour-tasting coffee. On the other hand, if your water temperature is above 205 degrees, your coffee may get over-extracted, resulting in a bitter-tasting coffee.
Rule #3: Choose Your Coffee Brewer
As mentioned in rule #2, an essential component of how to make coffee taste good is water temperature, so if you find that your brewer is unable to get to that optimal temperature, it may be a good opportunity to change up your favorite coffee-making method.
Unless you are prepared to spend the money on an expensive automatic machine to get all the ideal conditions for optimal coffee brewing, you may want to consider a manual coffee brew method.
Yes, they will require a bit more work on your part, but they are relatively inexpensive and give you more control over how you brew your coffee compared to your average automatic coffee maker.
We have previously reviewed the 8 Best French Stainless Steel Coffee Presses in 2021, the Top Best Selling Pour Over Coffee Makers, and the Best Automatic Pour Over Coffee Makers.
The French press is an immersion brewer that will yield you a bold, flavorful coffee. If you are new to manual coffee making and do not want to endure a steep learning curve, this is probably your best option. The Mueller is one of the best-selling French Presses you can find.
The pour-over coffee maker can help you achieve a cleaner-tasting cup of coffee if done correctly. This method gives you the most direct control over your final cup of coffee, so there can be a lot of trial and error before you get things just right for your personal preferences. The Bodum is one of the best-selling pour-over coffee makers you can find.
Your choice of a coffee brewing method is completely up to you. You determine your brewing method based on your taste, style, and available time.
And if you do not like the first cup of coffee you make with one of these, it can be easy to change up some of the variables like the water temperature, how long you let it brew, and the ratio of coffee to water. Speaking of which…
Rule #4: The Coffee to Water Ratio
If you are looking for balanced strength and flavor in your coffee, then the best coffee to water ratio (also called the brew ratio) to go for is about 1 gram of coffee for every 15-18 grams of water. If you like your coffee on the stronger, more concentrated side, try for a 1:15 ratio. If you like it less concentrated, try for the 1:18 ratio. These ratios are for drip, filter coffee, French Press, or any immersion technique.
Just note that the coffee to water brew ratios for espresso are expressed differently. For example, the brew ratio for an espresso is the weight of coffee grounds to the volume (or weight) of wet coffee produced. This is because the volume is only known after the coffee has been extracted. The weight of wet coffee produced can also be used as the ‘water’ ratio, but in most cafes, it is more convenient to use the volume of the extracted coffee.
Now, it is important to note that the coffee to water ratios may not be for everyone. If you are serious about learning how to make a good cup of coffee, though, it may be worth it to experiment with different ratios of coffee to water to find out what works best for you. And once you do find that optimal ratio, write it down!
We have previously written about coffee to water brew ratios in the following posts…
Rule #5: Clean Your Coffee Making Equipment
If you use a manual coffee maker, perhaps you are already doing this regularly, as there are only so many parts to it, and the process is pretty straightforward: take it apart as much as you can and clean it with soap and water. But if you use an automatic coffee maker, as most people do, you may not think about cleaning it very often. You may clean the pot and the filter as it is easy to see when those get dirty, but what about the inside of the coffee maker?
The reservoir may only hold the water in your coffee maker, but it can still get dirty, not to mention germy (not a real word but it sounds good). In addition to possible mineral buildup from the water, the reservoir can also be an ideal breeding ground for yeast and mold, as it is a damp and dark place most of the time. This can affect the taste of your coffee and potentially make you sick if not cleaned regularly.
Fortunately, it can be easy to clean your whole coffee machine with just a few simple ingredients that you probably already have at home. Try these steps to help clean your automatic drip coffee maker.
How to Clean Your Automatic Drip Coffee Maker
If you decide to go with the drip coffee brewing method to make your coffee, then you can follow these steps.
Step 1: Gather materials
- Coffee filter
Step 2: Mix Vinegar and water
Fill the reservoir of your drip coffee maker with vinegar and water at a 1:1 ratio. The vinegar will both sanitize your coffee maker and break up those mineral deposits.
Step 3: Brew, turn off and wait
Pop in a filter and turn on the drip coffee maker. Turn the coffee maker off about halfway through the brewing process and let everything soak for at least 30 minutes.
Step 4: Turn brewer back on and rinse
Turn your brewer back on and let it finish its cycle. Get rid of the filter and pour out any remaining vinegar. Run clean water through the machine to rinse out the rest of the vinegar.
After you have all this down, you can then start experimenting with different flavors and ingredients to perfect each cup of coffee you make, unless you just prefer a strong cup of black coffee that is.
If not, try some simple syrup, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, or even a scoop of ice cream to create a cup of coffee every coffee lover will be scrambling to try.
Now that you know how to make coffee taste good, who is ready for a cup?
Join Our Good Brews Club
Join our Good Brews Club for discounts, giveaways, a chance to win free coffee every month, the best coffee recommendations, special deals, and much more!