Thank you for visiting our site. This site is supported by our readers and members. We may earn commissions, at no cost to you, if you purchase products from retailers after clicking a link or advert from our site. As an Amazon Associate, we may earn from qualifying purchases on Amazon. These commissions help keep this site going. Content may be curated. Please read our disclaimers policy for more information. We hope you enjoy our site!
De’Longhi and Breville are the leading coffee-machine manufacturers and have become quite popular among expresso lovers all over the globe. These two companies have the most reliable and top-rated, but even with the best reviews, you have to choose one.
Today, we will help you choose which coffee machine suits your needs best and help you decide between the two.
A Brief Intro to De’Longhi
Founded in Italy, De’Longhi is more than 100 years old. DeLonghi has produced exceptional home appliances over the years and has built a great reputation in the coffee market as well.
The company has been making coffee makers for some time, but it wasn’t until 2008 that they gained popularity when their expresso machine became very popular.
De’Longhi manufacturers all types of espresso and coffee machines. They range from manual types, semi-automatic to fully automatic models. They have also partnered with other companies such as Nespresso to make a capsule-based espresso machine.
De’Longhi machines easily stand out from the Breville machines due to the slim aesthetic and stainless steel casing. De’Longhi machines also have dual boilers, which are great for the latte machine.
- Saves on space
- More programmability
- Stainless steel casing
- Features dual boilers for steamed milk and espresso
- Less manual control
- Small water reservoirs
A Brief Intro to Breville
Founded in 1932, Breville has grown to be a household name, especially in Australia, where it was founded. Breville was established by Bill O’Brien and Harry Norville, who combine their names to form the name.
Breville gained popularity in 1974 after they introduced a toaster to the market. It became a global brand in 2000 after producing some of the best espresso machines.
Some people prefer Breville’s aesthetic. For example, Breville’s machines have a button interface better than DeLonghi’s, which allows the user to control the outcome of their espresso.
They also come with a large water reservoir and much longer wands that have a 360° swivel.
- Aesthetically pleasing design
- Offers manual control when dealing with espresso shots
- Long steam wands
- Less programmability
The One to One Showdown: Breville vs De’Longhi
Here is a look at the many types of machines these companies have made across various categories and how they compare to each other.
Automatic Espresso Machines
An automatic espresso machine requires almost no input from the user. It removes any human error from production while ensuring consistency. An automatic espresso machine highlights brands’ technology and efficiency.
We will compare the De’Longhi La Specialista against the Breville Barista Touch automatic espresso machines. Of course, you could also compare it against the Breville Barista Express, but it’s more similar to a semi-automatic espresso machine as far as operations are concerned.
|Breville Barista Touch™||De’longhi La Specialista|
|Heating||Single ThermoJet||Thermoblock for water
Separate for milk
|Pump||15 bar||19 bar|
|Milk Frothing||Programmable automatic steam wand||Automatic steam wand|
With the touchscreen navigation, the Breville automatic espresso machine is quite easy to navigate, with an assortment of drinks and a filter basket that is pressurized, especially for beginner espresso makers. It also comes with a water filter which means you will not require descaling.
On the other hand, the De’Longhi espresso machine has a quick start (1-second.) You need to turn on the power to start grinding. In addition, it comes with a brew head that is removable and easy to clean.
The Breville and De’Longhi espresso machines are easy to clean and have a stylish look.
Breville Barista Touch™
- The Breville Barista Touch delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the Barista Series that offers all in one espresso machines with integrated grinder to go from beans to espresso in under one minute
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: With a single touch, the integrated precision conical burr grinder with dose control delivers the right amount of coffee on demand, for maximum flavor
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases pressure at the start and helps ensure all the flavors are drawn out evenly during the extraction for a balanced tasting cup
- FASTER HEAT UP TIME: Innovative ThermoJet heating system achieves the optimum extraction temperature in 3 seconds
- PRECISE ESPRESSO EXTRACTION: Digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at precisely the right temperature, ensuring optimal espresso extraction
- Stainless steel body with BPA free parts
- PID temperature control with three second heat time
- TFT Color Touch Screen
- Automatic milk frothing and steam wand
Last update on 2022-05-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Delonghi La Specialista
- Sensor grinding technology: Exclusive segsing technology delivers precise, consistent grinding and the optimal dose for espresso, every time. Plus, the bean sensor ensures you’ll never run out of beans while grindin
- The smart tamping station: Simply pull the lever to tamp the ground coffee with the right pressure for perfect results. There’s no need to remove the portafilter, so you get to enjoy a mess-free experience, for Espresso Made Right(TM)
- Active temperature control with dual heating system: The best temperature stability for optimal coffee extraction and milk texturing. One thermoblock for extracting coffee and an independent heating system for steaming milk or frothing
- Advanced latte system: Micro-foam frothing for Latte Art or rich froth for cappuccino. Just place your cup under the spout and select flat or foam. Now, you can enjoy your flat hot milk, or the perfect foam to express your latte art creativity
- 1 second quick start: Power the machine on, grind and tamp your dose, then immediately brew authentic espresso – no additional heat up time necessary
- Sensor Grinding Technology Choose one of 8 grinding settings for the coffee beans of your choice and adjust the dose with a precise digital dosing guide.
- Smart Tamping Station No more too loose or too dense doses, the Smart Tamping Station works in harmony with the sensors to ensure perfect pressure and proper doses with less mess.
- Dynamic Pre-Infusion The dynamic pre-infusion process adapts to the density of the coffee dose, and evenly wets the grounds to reach their perfect extraction.
- 5 Temperature Settings Active Temperature Control features 5 infusion profile settings that vary by bean type. Each profile offers its own temperature range to ensure better brew temperatures and flavor infusion.
- Active Temperature Control The Active Temperature Control technology features two independent heating systems, one dedicated to brewing the other to steamed milk. During the brewing process, these systems work in unison to continually deliver a hot brew with a delicious, milky foam finish.
Last update on 2022-05-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Both the DeLonghi and the Breville automatic espresso machines come with a conical burr grinder. However, the Breville features more grind sizes, while the DeLonghi has patented sensor grinding technology that delivers the right dose every time it’s in use.
The DeLonghi features a powerful pump with 19 bars, while the Breville machine has 15 bars. Both machines produce exceptional quality espresso with a rich cream.
The DeLonghi has dual boilers, which ensure temperature stability for coffee extraction and milk texturing simultaneously.
Both these machines allow for automatic milk frothing. However, the Breville Touch espresso machine gives you more control when it comes to milk frothing.
The machines are programmed between 110 and 170°F (43 to 77 °C). Both machines feature eight levels of froth density ranging from dense steamed milk to airy foam.
The DeLonghi La Specialista steaming wand also offers a hands-free frothing, and you can choose between foam and flat options.
Who Wins Between Breville Barista Touch and De’longhi La Specialista?
Both the DeLonghi La Specialista and the Breville Barista Touch make exceptional espresso quality. The DeLonghi is great for its dual boiler and its high-pressure pump, but Breville’s milk frothing system is the best if you are making lattes and cappuccinos.
Semi-Automatic Espresso Machines
Semi-automatic espresso machines are predominantly operated by the user. The user determines the dosing and the extraction time.
They lack automation and consistency, but they will produce superior espresso if an experienced user operates them. This means that the quality of the espresso is determined by the experience and knowledge of the user.
|Breville Café Roma||De’Longhi ECP3420|
|Frother||Steam wand with froth enhancer||Automatic steam wand|
|User-friendly features||Cup warmer double-wall portafilters||Self-priming auto tamper|
|Water||40 oz (1183 ml)||37 0z (1094 ml)|
The Breville Café Roma is an easy-to-use, entry-level espresso machine. It features a dual-wall single and double portafilter which ensures even beginners can make a mean espresso. Its top surface also features a cup warmer.
On the other hand, the DeLonghi features a self-priming operation that makes it easy to start and has an automatic tamper.
Both of these machines are compatible with easy-serving espresso pods for convenience.
Both the Breville Café Roma and DeLonghi ECP360 come with a 15 bar pump which is enough for a superior espresso. In addition, the Café Roma features a thermoblock heater. The DeLonghi ECP360 comes with a stainless-steel boiler with its patented ‘Rapid Cappuccino System’ to maintain the ideal temperature.
The Breville espresso machine features a standard steam wand with a froth enhancer for frothing, while the DeLonghi features an automatic wand.
The Breville espresso machine provides better results for a skilled user, while the DeLonghi is ideal for a novice user because it is more consistent and easier to use.
If you want to learn the craft of how to make good coffee, the Breville espresso maker is great for you. However, if you are looking for an easy and quick way to make a latter, the DeLonghi will be ideal for you.
These two machines are very similar as far as style is concerned, except that one is made of a double stainless steel exterior and the other plastic. The Café Rome is a few inches wider and has a larger tank with an exterior window that will help you gauge the water level.
Who Wins Between Breville Café Roma and DeLonghi ECP3420?
These two espresso machines are quite similar, but we prefer the DeLonghi. It is quite convenient with the automated steam wand, and it is compact, hence saving on space.
Nespresso DeLonghi vs Breville Machines
Nespresso is an operating unit of the Nestle Group that is based in Switzerland. Nespresso has collaborated with both Breville and DeLonghi to make machines that brew their capsule.
The single-serve pods are quite popular due to their convenience and are in 40% of households in the United States.
|Breville Creatista ® Plus||DeLonghi Silver Littissima Pro|
|Pump||19 bars||19 bars|
|Milk frothing||Automatic steam wand||Automatic with carafe|
|Water reservoir||50 oz||30 oz|
|User-friendly features||3-second heat up||One touch lattes and cappuccinos|
|Build material||Stainless Steel||Plastic|
Breville Creatista Plus
- SINGLE SERVE COFFEE AND ESPRESSO MACHINE: The Nespresso Creatista Plus offers freshly brewed coffee as well as delicious authentic espresso. The Creatista plus can turn into your personal latte maker with the attached milk frother,allowing you to create top quality latte art in your kitchen. Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee drinks
- BARISTA GRADE: Brew different single serve coffee and espresso beverage options at the touch of a button depending on your coffee needs - Ristretto (0.5 oz.),Espresso (1.35 oz.), Lungo (5 oz.). The Creatista allows you to take a step further and create more complex coffee drinks such as flat whites, cappuccinos, and latte macchiatos. There are settings that allow you to adjust coffee volume, milk temperature and mixture with a fast 3 second heat up time
- SMART COFFEE AND ESPRESSO MAKER: Brew a perfect single serve coffee or espresso cup time after time with an easy TFT LCD display that assists you on all preparation,setting and maintenance aspects thanks to a high resolution display
- Automatic built-in milk frother helps you create your favorite single serve coffee and espresso beverages. COMPLIMENTARY GIFT: Includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso capsules (capsule assortment may vary from picture)
- FEATURES AND WARRANTY: Nespresso Creatista Plus includes a 1.5L removable water tank,an auto-purge steam wand, 19 bars of pressure, a fast automatic cleaning process, a stainless milk jug and a 2 year warranty. Heats up in less than 3 seconds with an automatic off mode after 9 minutes
Last update on 2022-05-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
DeLonghi Silver Littissima
- It's all about the foam: The De’Longhi Automatic Cappuccino System creates perfectly layered espresso beverages, with dense, rich, long-lasting foam in every cup from start to finish.
- Nespresso capsule system: The ultimate convenience. The recyclable aluminum capsules contain the finest espressos for authentic taste without measuring or cleanup. Milk carafe capacity (l)- 16 ounce (.5 liter)
- Brings out more flavor: De’Longhi’s patented espresso extraction system creates the ideal flow of water with 19 bars of pressure – the ultimate amount for drawing the most flavor and desired temperature in each cup.
- The perfect amount of milk: During the extraction process, the integrated carafe dispenses milk in adjustable levels for taste. Simply remove from the unit to keep freshly refrigerated. The unit is also designed so no milk comes in contact with the machine – and is dishwasher safe.
- Rapid heat-up time: No need to wait for a delicious espresso. The Thermoblock heating system speeds cold-start heating time to seconds. Used capsule container: 15 capsules
Last update on 2022-05-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In both machines, the Nespresso capsule system is easy to use. In addition, the DeLonghi Lattissima has the one-touch cappuccino and lattes option because of its automatic milk frothing feature.
The Lattissima is self-cleaning and features an adjustable auto-off timer.
The Breville Creatista features the automatic wand that makes making a cappuccino easy, and not forgetting the ThermoJet heater that offers a 3-second heat-up time.
The DeLonghi Lattissima has a 19 bar pump, three milk options, and two coffee strengths. In addition, it has a carafe that automatically froths the milk and delivers an airy foam for a cappuccino. The carafe should always be kept in the fridge whenever it isn’t being used.
On the other hand, the Breville Creatista also has a 19 bar pump and features a unique steaming wand that is automatic and has a capsule brewing system.
With the creates, you can select 11 milk temperatures and eight milk textures to help you produce superior cappuccinos and lattes.
The Creatista features a 53 ounce (1.5 l) water tank that’s removable. It is a very attractive machine with a retro design similar to the original manual espresso machine.
The DeLonghi Latissima comes in a durable casing and holds 12 ounces of milk, 30 ounces of water that is enough for an average of 4 drinks before you need to refill it.
Who Wins Between Breville Creatista and De’Longhi Latissima?
The Breville Creatista wins this one. It has a superior milk frothing system, a larger water reservoir, and pleasing aesthetics.
A few reviews of the Breville Barista Touch
It is a good choice for an espresso machine, it has a very nice milk system, which is very important to me. The touchscreen is very nice and the machine is easy to use, I can’t say much more than that. (David)
My espresso machine broke and my husband bought me a new one. This is a barista quality machine that has a 15 bar pump. It has touch screen navigation, which makes it quite easy to use. There are an assortment of drinks available as well. We made a latte, cappuccino, and an espresso. The espresso was the best out of the three. I had to do a little tweaking with the grind size of the coffee, but after that, it was a breeze. (Jenny)
The Breville Barista Touch is a wonderful machine that makes great espresso and is a great value. This machine is your gateway to the world of espresso beverages. It has a 15 bar pressure pump, a built-in conical burr grinder, and an easy to navigate touchscreen display. It also comes with a one-year warranty. (Alison)
Reviews of the DeLonghi Silver Littissima Pro
This is a great machine to have at home or in the office. It has a dual-boiler that ensures that your coffee is hot and fresh with every use. It has a high-pressure pump that gives it that commercial-grade quality, great for the price. (Brent)
I love that it has dual boilers and that it has a high-pressure pump. It also has a removable brew head and is easy to clean. I also love that it has an automatic switch-off, so I can just set the timer and then go to bed. (Gaston)
Please note that the names are pseudonyms to address privacy concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still, have questions when it comes to the Breville vs DeLonghi debate and which makes the better coffee machine? Read on for answers to some of the more commonly asked questions.
In which country are De’longhi Products Manufactured?
They are manufactured either in Italy or China.
In which country are Breville products manufactured?
Breville products are designed in Australia but are manufactured and assembled in China.
What are ESE Pods?
ESE is an acronym for Easy Serving Espresso pod. They are small packed coffee pods covered with a paper filter.
What Do You Need to Make the Perfect Espresso?
There a many factors that go into making a perfect espresso such as fresh coffee brand, the grind, water, temperature, pressure, and timing. A good espresso coffee machine hopefully gets these factors right so you can enjoy the best of your coffee. The revile Barista touch and the DeLonghi La Specialista, which come with conical burr grinders.
What Do You Need to Make the Perfect Cappuccino?
In addition to the factors discussed above, you will need a machine with a great frothing system, with different frothing levels and different temperatures. Once you have made your espresso, all you need is a thick layer of milk foam.
Buy the DeLonghi if you:
- Prefer the automatic style of making your coffee as opposed to the manual control
- Prefer a smaller machine, and you have limited counter space
- Want a machine with a durable casing while saving your money
Buy the Breville if you:
- Prefer the manual control option
- Like to drink milky drinks often
- Prefer the aesthetic that comes with the Breville machines
- Want to have a large water reservoir for your espresso machine
Both DeLonghi and Breville manufacture excellent espresso makers. When choosing one, make sure that the option you go with fits your need.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.